Traditionally, Alloy Entertainment has developed its intellectual property internally, originating concepts in-house and then closely guiding the development process with writers. Now there are two ways to work with us on manuscripts you’ve already completed or self-published: The Collaborative and Alloy Entertainment’s Powered by Amazon digital-first imprint.
In both programs, authors benefit from Alloy Entertainment’s editorial and design expertise, marketing capabilities, and social media reach. Additionally, Alloy Entertainment, acquired by Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc. in 2012, has the support of a major studio behind all of its projects. As part of Warner Bros., AE retains the rights to produce each property in film, television, and new media. Authors will share in profits, across all platforms.
Read below to figure out which program is the best fit for you:
I. The Collaborative: If you have a completed manuscript and are in search of a literary agent, this is for you! Acquired projects will be shaped by The Collaborative and the author together, before determining the next steps for publication.
- What We’ve Done: How to Love by Katie Cotugno, a voice-driven romance told in alternating Before and After chapters, was published in October 2013 on Balzer & Bray’s list, an imprint of HarperCollins. The Art of Disappearing by Elena Perez, a heartbreaking and mysterious novel about a popular girl who starts to lose it all when she learns she may be psychic, launched as an e-book in August 2012.
- What We’re Looking For: The Collaborative looks to acquire up to twelve partial or complete manuscripts per year with an emphasis on women’s fiction, young adult, middle grade, and chapter books. We’re excited about fresh, new voices, and strong, unique concepts.
- Submission Guidelines: We are evaluating full or partial fiction manuscripts only—please, no scripts. If you don’t have an agent, please send us a query e-mail that contains a brief overview of the premise of your book and a short description of your writing background. In addition, please include the first five pages of your manuscript. And, agents, feel free to get in touch for your clients! We cannot accept submissions from legal minors. Please also note that we are only interested in manuscripts which have not previously been submitted to publishing houses.
Please submit by e-mail only to email@example.com. We will make our best efforts to get back to you within four weeks.
II. Alloy Entertainment – Powered by Amazon: If you have a self-published manuscript and are looking for a hybrid publishing experience, this program is right for you! In addition to AE’s creative and marketing expertise, this digital-first imprint has exclusive distribution through Amazon’s Kindle Store and support from Amazon’s targeted marketing reach.
- What We’ve Done: AE is excited to have three fantastic books leading the way in our Alloy Entertainment – Powered by Amazon acquisitions! We launched the program with three titles on July 29, 2014: Every Ugly Word by Aimee L. Salter, an emotionally gripping novel about one girl’s battle with her bullies. Imitation by Heather Hildenbrand, about a teenage clone who must pose as the girl she was cloned from to draw out her would-be assassins. Rebel Wing by Tracy Banghart, an epic sci-fi adventure about a girl who follows her boyfriend to the front lines of war.
- What We’re Looking For: Alloy Entertainment – Powered by Amazon looks to acquire complete manuscripts, including those that have previously been self-published. We’re excited about fresh, new voices, and strong, unique concepts. We accept series as well as standalone novels.
- Submission Guidelines: We are evaluating full fiction manuscripts only—please, no scripts or fan-fiction. Please send us a query e-mail that contains a brief overview of the premise of your book and a short description of your writing background. In addition, please include the first three chapters of your manuscript, as well as a link to your book or Goodreads page if you’ve already self-published the book. And, agents, feel free to get in touch for your clients! We cannot accept submissions from legal minors.
Please submit by e-mail only to firstname.lastname@example.org. We will make our best efforts to get back to you within four weeks.